1. If he were here this evening, we would play cards.
2. If I had known her address, I would have visited her last week.
3. Were she a boy, she would be happy.
4. Had you informed me earlier, I wouldn’t have signed the contract.
5. Coke town was a town of red brick, or of brick that would have been red if the smoke and the ashes had allowed it.
6. They do not tell how able an underprivileged youngster might have been, had he grown up under more favorable circumstances.
7 .If circumstances always determined the life and prospects of people, then humanity would never have progressed. (2011)
8. Those with degrees from elite universities catch up fairly quickly to where they otherwise would have been if they had graduated in better times.
9. This “brain drain” has long bothered policymakers in poor countries. They fear that it hurts their economies, depriving them of much-needed skilled workers who could have taught at their universities, worked in their hospitals and come up with clever new products for their factories to make.