(1994)Too often, careless use of words 43 a meeting of the minds of the speaker and listener. The words used by the speaker may 44 unfavorable reactions in the listener which interfere with his comprehension; hence, the transmission-reception system breaks down.
43. [A] encourages [B] prevents [C] destroys [D] offers
44. [A] pass out [B] take away [C] back up [D] stir up
(2006)To help homeless people toward independence, the federal government must support job training programs, 4 the minimum wage, and fund more low-cost housing.
4. [A] raise [B] add [C] take [D] keep
(1996) 48 enough vitamins is essential to life, although the body has no nutritional use for excess vitamins.
48. [A] Supplying [B] Getting [C] Providing [D] Furnishing
(2003)And they also need to give serious 21 to how they can best 22 such changes. Growing bodies need movement and 23 , but not just in ways that emphasize competition. 24 they are adjusting to their new bodies......
22. [A] strengthen [B] accommodate [C] stimulate [D] enhance
(2006)One of the federal government’s studies 9 that the number of the homeless will reach nearly 19 million by the end of this decade.
9. [A] predicts [B] displays [C] proves [D] discovers
(2002)“Benefits” have been weighed 40 “harmful” outcomes. And generalizations have proved difficult.
40. [A] above [B] upon [C] against [D] with
(2006) As Edward Zlotkowski, director of community service at Bentley College in Massachusetts, 19 it, “There has to be 20 of programs. What' s needed is a package deal.”
19. [A] puts [B] interprets [C] assumes [D] makes
(1994)The speaker who does not have specific words in his working vocabulary may be 49 to explain or describe in a 50 that can be understood by his listeners.
50. [A] case [B] means [C] method [D] way
(2000)He may also need money to construct irrigation 46 and improve his farm in other ways.
46. [A] vessels [B] routes [C] paths [D] channels
(2001)In a significant 32 of legal controls over the press, Lord Irvine, the Lord Chancellor, will introduce a 33 bill that will propose making payments to witnesses 34 and will ….
33. [A] sketch [B] rough [C] preliminary [D] draft
34. [A] illogical [B] illegal [C] improbable [D] improper