A Letter of Apology (道歉信)是因为自己的过失或疏忽，给别人带来了麻烦或损失，发觉后为了给对方赔礼道歉而写的信函。道歉信应该反应出自己具体的过失或疏忽，道歉的语言应该简练诚恳，并且希望收信人能够原谅自己的过失或疏忽。
1. I cannot tell you how sorry I am.
2. I just do not know what to say.
3. It was my fault.
4. Please forgive my forgetfulness / negligence.
5. I am afraid I have brought you too much trouble.
6. It was really quite unintentional.
7. I did not mean to hurt your feelings.
8. I do beg your pardon for the mess I have made.
9. I must make an apology for (losing my temper).
10. Please accept my sincere apologies for…
You have made an appointment with Prof. Wang, but failed to keep it. Write a letter to your
1) apologize for your failure to keep the appointment,
2) explain your reason to your teacher, and
3) express your wish to make another appointment.
You should write about 100 words on ANSWER SHEET 2. Do not sign your own name at the end of the letter. Use “Li Ming” instead. You do not need to write the address.
Jan. 30th, 2010
Dear Prof. Wang,
First of all, please allow me to express my deep sorry for not being able to keep our
appointment. I do know that this is very impolite and must have caused you much trouble.
I do reckon that at present any explanation is pale and futile. However I do not want you to misunderstand me. On my way to your office, an old lady suddenly fainted due to heart attack on the bus. I stopped a taxi and sent her into a nearby hospital. I stayed there until her son came, which spoiled our appointment.
I am aware that our appointment is of importance. I do hope that you would be kind
enough to spare your valuable time to meet me.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.